Friday 26 November 2021

White Friday

                      
To counteract the crazy frenzy that has taken the entire globe with a day dedicated to shopping, known as ‘Black Friday,’ waiting on lines for hours, and fighting for a particular item on sale, may I suggest to dedicate at least a part of this day to look at something positive in preparation for Christmas and the New Year. I call it ‘White Friday.’

The color white is very symbolic as it reminds me of many special events in my life.

The white baptismal robe that covered every baby I baptized in my life as a priest, reminding the parents of the unblemished life they try to lead their child through.

The white pall that covered every casket or urn with cremains of the hundreds of funerals I led over the years, reminding the mourners of the Resurrection and New Life.

The white snow, the billions of snowflakes I shovelled in my time in New York and Oregon, and which I miss so much here in Malta.

The white clouds that sparkle against the blue sky that enhance my photos, especially those cumulus clouds that are so pretty.

The color white in some of my favorite staples of food: eggs, pasta, rice, banana, cauliflower, coconut, garlic, potatoes, radishes, mushrooms, parsnip, leeks, honeydew melon, onion, pears, etc.

The white dove reminds us of purity and innocence, as well as the Holy Spirit.

The white vestments I use daily, in my alb and chasuble, celebrating happy feasts of saints, as well as Christmas and Easter seasons, besides feasts of the Blessed Mother.

The white host I hold in my hand at every Mass I celebrate, which miraculously becomes the real Body of Jesus at the consecration, a powerful miracle indeed.

I hope you can remember this day as ‘White Friday,’ as you pray and reflect on all the blessings we received instead of rushing to buy more stuff, which most possibly you don’t need and probably will never use.

No comments:

Post a Comment