Wednesday 5 December 2018

Origami Christmas Tree

Over the next few weeks, I will be going back in time to visit various nativities and decorations I did in past parishes as well as some interesting and unusual festive details which I hope you will find interesting. This first one takes me back to 1984 when I did an origami nativity for the parish office in my first US parish of Holy Spirit in New Hyde Park. Besides the main characters which you can see, I also added some colorful boxes, a deer, a polygon star, and did a Christmas tree with cranes, the Japanese symbol of peace.
A detail of the Japan Airlines Christmas tree.
And speaking of Japan, here is a photo I took of the Japan Airlines tree on Fifth Avenue in New York City, which was quite an attraction, with different items made from origami, done by Japanese children. Origami is the art of making objects just by folding paper, no glue, no staples, no tape allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment