Sunday 7 November 2021

NYC Marathon

After the 1985 NYC Marathon

Today the annual New York City marathon is held in New York, going through the 5 boroughs of the Big Apple. Of course this brings back nostalgic memories when I took part in the race three times, in 1985, 1986 and 1987. It all started when a parishioner asked me if I wanted to participate in the marathon, because he got the official number, but could not go. So, without any training and with no idea what running 26 miles and 385 yards meant, I was on the starting line-up with 30,000 other athletes. Of course I walked all the way to the end, but successfully finished and received the medal, which I treasure. Two more medals later I retired from running, and even though I did not win the race, I always cherish the immortal words of Pierre Rene de Coubertin, the founder of the Olympic Games...’ the important thing is not to win, but to participate.’ Orlando Pizzolato, the winner took home $100,000 and a Mercedes Benz, but I took with me many happy and precious memories.

In 2008 with the 3 marathon medals

Close-up of the three NYC marathon medals, 1985, 1986, 1987.

No comments:

Post a Comment