Friday 5 November 2021

Altar decorating

It was something that I enjoyed doing in my parishes, and I still try to embellish our sanctuary with meaningful and related items to celebrate a particular feast. These are just three photos, two of them from my parish in John Day, Oregon and the third one from my parish in Pleasant Valley, New York. It was always my sincere intention to involve the people as much as possible during the liturgical functions, especially daily Mass. Presently I have a picture of the saint of the day on the altar, as I share a reflection on their life during my homily, which the parishioners appreciate. 

In past parishes I placed a few items in front of the altar to bring inspiration and a spiritual presence on the people attending Mass, or praying privately in church. According to the season, I add various religious items, like Icons, flowers, banners, small statues, rosary beads, crucifix, chalice, a bible, wheat and grapes, etc. Around Christmas of course the Nativity is placed right there in front of the altar. More about this as we approach December.

No comments:

Post a Comment