Sunday 5 June 2016

A spiritual sunset

Two days ago, I was doing my usual evening walk and came across a stunning sunset. But the timing of it was even more special because I was nearing a chapel with a statue of Mary in front of it. The chapel is actually an underground church, dedicated to the Annunciation of Mary, with a flight of steps that goes down to the main body of the church. In my childhood years we use to make a hike to get to it, especially after a rainy day to pick up snails to be cooked as escargot. In the same area my father used to pick small segments of thyme plants to decorate our nativity display at Christmas. For us it seemed so far away that its name was very unfair to it. 
It is called Mensija, which translated in Maltese means ‘forgotten.’ The Capuchins from an adjacent parish celebrate daily Mass in it. The walk nowadays seems a stroll, maybe three-quarters of a mile at the most, because a round trip takes a mile and a half. The sun was playing behind the clouds emitting different rays and beams of light, which I captured in a series of photos. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me, but my I used my IPod, which I used for these photos, not as sharp as they would have been with my camera, but beautiful nonetheless. Enjoy them.

2 comments:

  1. So Beautiful! Scenes like these give pause to reflect on the grace of God...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images Father. Just wondering, what kind of camera did you shoot them with? God's work in full splendour.

    ReplyDelete