Saturday 26 September 2020

Retired License plate

                       

Continuing my review of flashbacks from my past, this license plate struck me one day, and of course, took the picture which I saved for close to 40 years. I never thought of myself as a retired person, and probably will never officially retire completely, because I hope to be always able to celebrate Mass and help in parishes whenever I am needed. Even though I am not assigned to any particular parish, I do take care of the spiritual needs of a Retirement Home as I visit the residents to give them communion and celebrate daily Mass in my chapel, which they can also follow on a closed-circuit TV in their own rooms. And this has been very beneficial in the present Covid-19 situation, which means that it is actually more work for me as I spend 2 hours going from room to room to bring Jesus to the residents, plus confessions, some counseling, and just my presence, which consoles them and lifts their spirit. I say 2 Masses on Saturday and 2 more on Sunday, besides an extra Mass on Sunday in the local Naxxar parish. They also look forward to my playing the flute for them, often after communion, and frequently during lunch in the dining room. I also present occasional PowerPoint talks on various religious subjects, which they enjoy. So, as you can see I am far from a retired person, although I have no fixed address since I live here most of the time. I have a phone which is not one of my favorite gizmos, unlike our young and not-so-young people who seem to have their cell-phone connected to their bodies. My clock is always going and I still follow my customary hibernation routine, early to bed (by 10PM) and early to rise (around 5:30 AM.) And since I do everything here on a voluntary basis, money has never been a priority for me, although you need the basics to buy the daily necessities.

No comments:

Post a Comment