Sunday 6 September 2020

A prayer for today’s woman

This prayer was written by Catherine de Vinck, and printed in the Christopher’s News Notes in June 1988. It applies to today’s women as it did to those who lived 32 years ago, and maybe even 320 years ago.

Lord God, Show me the inherent goodness and beauty in my womanhood, and teach me to rejoice in all its aspects. Let me see the dignity of my sex so that I shall never permit anyone to abuse, debase, or ridicule it. Show me the wonder of my role as a life-bearer which is not limited to my biological function as a mother, but extends to other aspects and situations of my presence in the world. Let me recognize my power to nurture, comfort, inspire, and guide others as part of the creative process of my life.   Fill me with the desire to build up rather than to tear down, to heal rather than to wound, to reconcile rather than polarize, to risk rather than to seek compromise and security. Help me to see what is of everlasting value in cultural and religious traditions. Help me to forge ahead and to be true to my own nature without being hindered by false assumptions of the past or by passing fads of the present day. Let me understand that my femininity is a gift of God to be acknowledged with gratitude and delight. Let me know that my womanhood is not a situation in conflict with manhood but that both are created equal for the purpose of mutual love and support. Help me to grow according to my own nature so that I may be able to fulfill my destiny according to Your will. I pray for all my sisters in the world - may they live as Your children in freedom and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment