Tuesday 4 July 2023

Holy Brut confiscated

I have gone through over 150 airports in my life, some of which were after the Sept 11, 2001 terrorist attack in New York and Washington. I’ve been frisked, checked, X-rayed several times with no problem ever, and nothing ever taken away from me. I was once traveling with my parents through Frankfurt Airport, and after a bomb scare we had to open our hand-luggage. My mother had her selection of almond cookies, and I was afraid they would think they are drugs. The female security person was offered one of the cookies by my mother and she ate it right there and then, and even had seconds. Unbelievable, in all that high drama and security! Now being dressed as a priest going through Lourdes Airport, you would thing you have the least of problems. However, the X-Ray machine checking my luggage noticed something unusual. I waited in line fearing the worst like all those ahead of me. Could it be my chalice, the Pyrenees cheese and sausage my sister gave me, my sandals or flip-flops, my boxer-shorts, my shaving razor or brush? No,  it was my Brut aftershave in its typical green bottle. The female security guard demanded that I should leave it behind me. She kindly invited me to use the rest of it, which I did, splashing it generously on my face. But why on earth was a humble Brut bottle of aftershave so dangerous? I’ve been blessing all kinds of Rosaries and candles and statues all week long. Maybe I should have protected my Brut and blessed it too! And if ever you want to come to Lourdes, don’t carry any Brut with you, as they’ll treat you like a brute! More happier photos and stories tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment