Thursday 13 July 2023

Flashback from 1983-84

It seems that many of my former students at Holy Spirit School in New Hyde Park have discovered my blog and are sharing my posts through Facebook. I personally do not have Facebook, but this blog has been going since 2012 when I started it in Oregon. When I returned to Malta in 2016, I continued working on it daily, and never miss a post unless I am away (as I was last week in Lourdes). But here are two more nostalgic photos from 1983-84, exactly 40 years ago. The first one shows our Children’s Choir, directed by Mrs Anne Conte, who was a dedicated musician. As you can see, as is always the case, it’s not easy in any choir to get male singers, and so was the case in our choir, having only 5 boys, with 92 % being girls.

The second photo was an 8th Grade Class with their teacher Mrs LaRosa during the 1984-85 season. I can actually mention most of the names of these students who are now in their 50s, probably parents, and who knows, some even grandparents. I remember that some of them did very good in High School and eventually in College. Among the students pictured here, are two who got married, and had three beautiful daughters. I did their wedding probably in the early 1990s, and they are Kevin Mikowski (back row, 4th from left) and Kathleen McCartan (back row 4th from right.) Those days classes were large and I believe there was a second 8th Grade class, and with 32 students in one class, the other class most probably had another 30 at least. It’s unfortunate that the school had to close when enrollment became very low. Those hallways and classes bring many cherished memories to me and to all these students, who may see them as they share them in their Facebooks. Good luck, and if a few write comments, I will put more nostalgic photos – I have many which you will cherish and enjoy !

3 comments:

  1. Fr. Julian! Thank you for sharing some special Holy Spirit memories. Thankfully, through Facebook, many of us in the Class of 1985 are still able to keep in touch. It is touching that you remember us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Gainer13 July 2023 at 05:52

    Wow, such great memories. Thank you Father. Class of ‘84

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think the Class of 1985 ever split up . I think we were one of the only classes that stayed together the whole 8 years and weren’t split into 2 . (9 with kindergarten)

    ReplyDelete