Saturday 8 July 2023

History in Stone

With the thousands of photos I have in my collection, it’s so easy for me to choose one particular photo and build a short story around it. I go back today to 1986 or 1987 when I used to stop in England and visit my aunt and a couple I married and their families. With my camera always around my neck walking through the heart of London, you come across many gothic churches that may be 600 to 800 years old. I don’t recollect when and where I took this photo but it was certainly the main door of a gothic church adorned with several prelates in their majestic robes, carrying croziers, mitres and all the regalia that is associated with them. These could very well be the likes of St. Thomas Becket, St Thomas More, Oliver Cromwell, St. John Fisher, Thomas Wolsey and others. The stonework and fine sculpture is exceptional, and obviously well kept and restored properly. Similar sculptures are seen in churches in Italy, Germany, France, Spain and England. Most of them are in the façade of the churches, around the doors, and often replicated inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment