Friday 25 October 2019

The joy of saying Mass

Ever since I’ve been saying Mass at my chapel at Hilltop Gardens, I have not seen one empty pew, as the chapel is always packed with people. We’ve been having some minor confrontations as people can’t find a place, a situation which I try to resolve quickly. It is a blessing seeing the chapel filled with parishioners and residents of the retirement home. Since I preach at every daily Mass, people are used to staying longer, about 30 minutes for each daily Mass. I even say a special prayer after communion, related to the theme of the Mass, and of course, I play background music before Mass starts and during communion. I also try to coordinate alternate readers, so that everyone is involved in the beauty of the Mass. There was however one instance when a resident complained to me about the length of my Mass. She, of course, does not attend Mass, except for maybe Christmas and Easter, but when I go to give her communion in her room, she once told me...”Father Julian, your Masses are too long......where I used to go, we were in and out in 10 minutes!” Now I know that 10 minutes is an exaggeration, but her point was trying to justify her absence. Now understand that this is a person who is always sitting on a chair, looking at a blank wall, or watching TV. It’s such a shame when people cannot comprehend the blessings of attending Mass, and when they do, it’s an ‘in-and-out’ routine that becomes a habit and nothing else. I admire those people who come early, others stay to pray after Mass, and still, others stop by at the chapel during the day for private prayer. And I hope that priest who can celebrate Mass in 10 minutes or so, slows down so that people can appreciate more the benefits of what he is celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment