Tuesday 8 October 2019

Forgiveness in the Courtroom

Brandt hugging his brother's killer, Amber Guyger.
The world saw God in a Dallas Courtroom last Wednesday afternoon. Botham Jean had been minding his own business, when a distracted off-duty white police officer, Amber Guyger, was returning home to her apartment in the same building as his. Mistakenly she entered the 28-year old man’s apartment, just above her own, thinking it was her own, and discovered who she thought was an intruder. She drew her firearm and killed him in his own home. Last week she was sentenced to a 10-year prison term. 
At the sentencing, Botham’s 18-year old brother, Brandt, took the witness stand to be heard. He spoke in the name of his family, “I hope you go to God with all that guilt,” he proceeded. “If you truly are sorry…I forgive you.” He pushed quickly past his own forgiveness, and back to God. “I know if you go to God and ask Him, He will forgive you.”
Brandt Jean speaking in the name of his family.
He also wanted her to know that though she took the life of his beloved big brother, that he also loved her. “I love you just like anyone else…I personally want the best for you…I don’t even want you to go to jail. I want the best for you, because I know that’s exactly what Botham would want…And the best would be to give your life to Christ. Giving your life to Christ is the best thing Botham would want you to do. Again, I love you as a person, and I don’t wish anything bad on you.” Turning to the Judge, Brandt almost begged, “I don’t know if this is possible, but can I give her a hug please? Please?” The Judge conceded to the request, and Amber wept in Brandt’s arms. A little later, the judge herself also gave her a hug while handing Amber a Bible. Brandt looked upon Amber as someone loved by God. In the midst of so much darkness, the world saw a great light — we saw charity in a Dallas courtroom, and in seeing charity, we see God.

No comments:

Post a Comment