Wednesday 11 September 2019

My Diary from 9-11-2001

The second plane just before crashing into the second Twin Tower.
I share with you over the next two days a 5-day diary I kept on September 11, 2001, when I was in St Stanislaus Kostka Parish, Pleasant Valley, New York. I sent these entries to the Times of Malta which were printed right away. Then a book company saw my entry and asked me to have my write-up be published in a book they were releasing. The book was printed within a few weeks, entitled “9-11 - 8:45 AM” Today I share my first two days, tomorrow the next three days.

A 5 Day Diary of a priest in New York
Tuesday, September 11, 2001
I got up as usual at 4:45 AM, went for my usual 30-minute fast walk, showered and had breakfast. I prayed the office, prepared for Mass and practiced my flute for the usual hour in Church. After the 9 AM Mass, I stopped to see the Nursery School children, also to get energized by seeing 15 happy and smiling 3-year olds. Then I came to my room to prepare for my Communion Calls which I usually do on Tuesdays, visiting the 7 elderly homebound parishioners and give them Communion. I noticed my telephone message flashing and checked to see who called. It was my mother’s voice frantically begging me to call back to see if I was OK, after telling me briefly that the World Trade Centre have been bombed. In a split second I turned the TV on, and the phone rang again. My parents called again. I was speechless as I watched the horrifying collapse of the first Tower, and after assuring them I was OK, I hang up still speechless and in disbelief. Like the rest of the world, I watched the second tower crash down and followed the unbelievable aftermath. I could have stayed in front of the TV all day, as most people did, but I had some elderly friends to visit and also console, as everyone was heartbroken and searched for answers. Since my Parish is 80 miles away from New York City, I could only follow the tragic events like most of New Yorkers, through television, but I realized my service would be needed soon to lead people in prayer and console them in the coming days and weeks. We scheduled a Mass in our Church in the evening and the congregation was standing-room only. We invited the people to mention names of people they knew who were either missing or dead or injured. We had a dozen names prayed for. People cried and sobbed, still incredulous to what had happened in Manhattan. They stayed after Mass, sharing stories, reminiscing memories,  praying and hoping.
 
Some of the hundreds of memorials placed around Ground Zero.
Wednesday, September 12, 2001
More people came to Mass this morning, and some even for confession, hurt, upset and angry. The shock of the first day was now turning to anger in many people. As I was writing to my family and friends and sending E-Mails across the world, a man called me and asked me to pray for his son, who was presumed dead. I left everything and went to visit Hans Klein, an Austrian immigrant who was alone at home after his wife had left to be with their daughter-in-law, now a young widow. Their son Peter was 36, and worked on the 97th floor of the first building that was hit. Most probably the plane crashed right into his Office. Peter was married a year ago and was an altar-boy in our parish for many years. I devoted an hour with Hans, sharing with me special memories of his family and his son, as I did my best to comfort him.
I spent three hours waiting on-line to donate blood, a process that normally takes half an hour. Hundreds of Americans gave the gift of life by donating blood for the survivors. Many others turned to prayers. I did a lot of counseling, even on the phone and through E-mail. People were trying to understand the meaning of this senseless act. Others reverberated quotes from Nostradamus and asked if the end of the world is nearing. I encouraged them to think positive, and as the motto of the Christophers suggests, “to try to light one candle instead of cursing the darkness,” - to focus on praying, support and unity, instead of vengeance or hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment