Thursday 12 September 2019

5-day diary of a priest in NY

A message I wrote on a memorial "God will remember you and the Maltese will pray for you.."
Continuing my 5-day diary I kept after the tragedy of September 11, 2001.....
Thursday, September 13, 2001
Many more people came to Mass today, and parents were wondering what to tell their children. The stories of many of the survivors and victims were constantly being relayed on TV. Since I was on Long Island for 18 years, I knew many people who worked in the business district and in the World Trade Centre and hoped and prayed that they survived. Another parishioner was on the 51st floor during the attack. She leads our congregation in singing every Sunday and is an active member of our Choir. Joanne Ernest told me the incredible story of her escape, having to walk down 51 floors into the streets. These are her own words in an E-Mail she sent me: “As I reached the street, I could see people jumping from the top floors. A sight I don’t think I’ll ever forget! I was 2 blocks away from the WTC when tower 2 started to collapse. As I ran the debris cloud overtook me and with several others I ducked into a store to get away from the debris. As I was waiting the 1st tower collapsed! During this time the police came in looking for eye goggles and they told everyone they had to clear the area. I started heading north and just kept going and going!! No subways..no taxis...so I ended up walking all the way to Grand Central Station, at least 5 miles.
As the rescue operations continued, I met a fireman friend of mine who was helping out in the recovery process. He told me that all they’re finding are body parts, and no one alive. I watched on TV the heart-breaking story of the Howard Lutnick, CEO of Cantor Fitzgerald who lost 658 of his employees who were on the very top floors of one of the Twin Towers, including his brother. He survived simply because he took his daughter to her first day of Kindergarten, and was heading towards work when the tragedy happened.
Friday, September 14th 2001
Today is the National Day of Mourning and Prayer, and the rest of the world joined the USA in prayer services and shows of solidarity and support. I celebrated an extra Mass at 12 noon with another large number of people attending. I shared some encouraging reflections and even quoted the Pope’s message in his Wednesday audience. We sang together “Amazing Grace” and ended with “America the Beautiful.”In the afternoon I visited again my friend Hans, after getting a pleading phone-call from his daughter in New Orleans to kindly check on him, as he was by himself and emotionally distraught. I spent 2 hours with him, and he was more calm and talked about his son. His family will be getting together in a few days, after they sent all the information and paperwork about his absence, including a toothbrush, an item requested by the Police to check for DNA in case they cannot identify his body (or body parts.)
At 7PM I joined the thousands of Americans in lighting a candle and stayed in front of my Church alone in silence. Soon other parishioners joined. It was supposed to be a prayerful time, but it was impossible to control the patriotic exuberance of the many drivers going by and beeping their horns, while displaying and waving the American Flag.
Ruth Klein, mother of Peter with a quilt she made in his memory.
Saturday, September 15, 2001
All sports events were cancelled for this weekend, and we expect many more people attending Church as well as for Confessions. We make ourselves available for counseling services, as many still incredulous people are seeking emotional support, and the first place they look for is Church. Today the first moving Funeral took place of Father Mychal Judge OFM, the NYC Fire Department Chaplain, who died while administering the last rites to another fallen fireman. After he was killed, 4 fellow firemen carried his body to a nearby Church and laid his body in front of the altar. They then joined hands and recited the prayer of St Francis while covering his body with a sheet and placing his stole and badge on his lifeless body. This was the first of thousands of Funerals that will be taking place in the coming weeks. Soon I will prepare to bury Peter Klein, comfort his family and probably concelebrate in many other Funeral Masses.
One final point to ponder. Next to the World Trade Center is Holy Trinity Church, surrounded by a graveyard. While all nearby skyscrapers were also badly damaged, the cemetery is littered with rubble and debris, but the Church remained intact, with the spire still standing. The metal and concrete of the Twin Towers collapsed, but the spirit of faith and the presence of God survives. Among the memorial banners hanging around the railing, I later wrote a message in Maltese 'Il-Bambin jiftakar fikom, u l-Maltin jitolbu ghalikom.' (God will remember you and the Maltese will pray for you.' Let us remember and pray for the New York Martyrs, whose feast day should be celebrated annually on September 11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment