Tuesday 24 May 2016

Flowers from Malta - part 1

Going for a walk every evening, I am discovering many flowers that grow in Malta, and may not be found in American gardens. Yesterday I took my camera and came back with quite a few unusual and common flowers, which I will share with you over the next few days. Today I focus on the hibiscus, of which I found a very unusual color on one of them, orange with yellow edges. You may be more familiar with the red one, but there are also orange, yellow and pink ones, two of which I share with you here. 
The flowers are large, conspicuous, trumpet-shaped, with five or more petals. Hibiscus is a genus of flowering plants in the mallow family, Malvaceae. It is quite large, containing several hundred species that are native to warm-temperate, subtropical and tropical regions throughout the world. 
Member species are often noted for their showy flowers and are commonly known simply as hibiscus, or less widely known as rose mallow. The genus includes both annual and perennial herbaceous plants, as well as woody shrubs and small trees. More flowers tomorrow.

1 comment: