Saturday 29 May 2021

A hymn to Mary

The Blessed Mother by Emvin Cremona

Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) was an American poet, known for his mysterious and strange stories. It was a surprise to find out that he even wrote a hymn to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Once he was walking by a church and heard the bells ring, and asked the reason for the bells ringing. A priest told him that the bells toll for the Angelus, at 6 AM, at 12 noon and at 6 PM, to commemorate the YES of Mary and the Incarnation of Jesus. Poe had never heard of the Angelus, but sat down and wrote this beautiful poem.

At morn – at noon – at twilight dim –

Maria! thou hast heard my hymn!

In joy and woe – in good and ill –

Mother of God, be with me still!

When the hours flew brightly by,

And not a cloud obscured the sky,

My soul, lest it should truant be,

Thy grace did guide to thine and thee

Now, when storms of Fate o’ercast

Darkly my Present and my Past,

Let my future radiant shine

With sweet hopes of thee and thine.

No comments:

Post a Comment