Sunday 14 April 2019

Palm Sunday retrospective

Palm Sunday at St Elizabeth parish in John Day 2004
I want to to take you back in time today as I relive the Palm Sunday celebrations in my last three parishes in Oregon. I made a point at each parish to have a donkey leading the procession towards the church after the blessing of the palms. Naturally, this tradition attracted more crowds to church, and sadly to say, the tradition has been dropped by all successive pastors.
Palm blessing at St Francis de Sales Cathedral in Baker City.
Unfortunately, I am not allowed to provide a donkey at the Retirement Home where I am serving now. Nonetheless, the chapel is always packed with people, and it’s always a problem trying to fit the large crowds that are attending the Masses here. It is a big problem, but in a way it is a good problem, and I wish all the churches have a similar problem, but that is not the case. However, donkey or no donkey, we welcome Jesus into our hearts today as we prepare for the celebrations of Holy Week, the holiest week of the entire year. Hosanna to our king!
Donkey procession at St Francis of Assisi parish in Bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment