Sunday 31 December 2017

The Blessing of Families

Today we end another year as the church celebrates families – the feast of the Holy Family of Nazareth. So I pray today for the families that have touched and enriched my life. First of all my own immediate family, especially my parents who are enjoying eternal rest. I thank them for instilling in us a strong sense of values, love for the church, forgiveness and tolerance and a loving childhood that I cherish every day of my life. I remember the many families I have met in New York, couples that I married, their babies I baptized, young people I helped through some rough stages in their lives. I remember the many families I served in Oregon, the many families I helped bring back to their church, the many good souls I buried, the many couples I counselled, their children I taught and inspired, and still more couples I married and babies I baptized and welcomed into the church community. I remember the many families in Malta, many of whom have grown into adults and many more have passed away. I remember the many children who used to be my altar-servers and are now parents and grand-parents. I remember and pray for the families who have touched my life and are still appreciating my love and commitment to them. I pray that on the example of the Holy Family of Nazareth they will continue to be role models for other families. And to those raising children, I pray that they will dedicate their lives by their example of Christian love and perseverance. May God bless all families in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment