Sunday 24 December 2017

A God-sent Christmas gift

They came to Malta in February this year, a Slovak couple with three young children. Radomir was starting a new career here and Zuzana was eager to start raising her family in a warmer climate on an island which made them very welcome. Very devout Catholics, they attend Mass daily and in late October they were looking for a Mass in early afternoon, between 4 and 5 pm. Not many churches or chapels celebrate Mass at that time, but after checking at quddies.com, they headed towards Hilltop Gardens where I celebrate daily Mass at 4:30 pm. They realized it was a Retirement Home, and the gate was closed, but they persisted and were let in, to attend the Mass in the chapel. However since all children were awake, they followed the Mass on the screen outside, and then received communion. After the whole congregation left, Zuzana asked me if I could hear her confession. Then Radomir followed, and then we exchanged greetings afterwards as I led them to the residential playroom, where the children enjoyed playing with the toys while I talked more with this gracious family. They told me about their involvement in a Slovak prayer group and Evangelization programs, and how they would love if I could occasionally say a private Mass for them. Two months have passed from that first encounter, and my life has been enriched to no end by their presence in my life. I have become their spiritual director and they have attended many of my Masses, arriving early enough so that the three children, Peter, Gabriel and Kristina can enjoy some playtime in their playroom.’

When I look back at this family, I realize how God really wanted me to meet them and become their family priest. It was truly providential that I met them, and I ask myself:
What if I never returned to Malta from the USA?
What if I was not appointed chaplain at Hilltop Gardens Resurrection chapel? 
What if they did not check the internet for an afternoon Mass? 
What if they turned and went back when they saw the gate locked? 
What if they went to another church that day? 
What if they did not ask to go to confession? 
What if I told them No and did not have time since I had communion calls for the bed ridden, which I do daily after Mass? 
What if I didn’t connect with them and talk to them more? 
What if I didn’t invite the children to the Playroom? 
What if I said No to celebrating Mass at their home? 
What if I was aloof and didn’t want to be bothered? 
Truly God plans our lives in a mysterious, beneficial and surprising way. We just have to be open to the graces when we meet some special people in our lives. Then our lives will never be the same. The presence of this family in our community is a God-sent Christmas gift.
A Blessed Christmas to everyone who reads my blog, or as they say in Slovak....Vesele Vianoce. A stastlivy Novy Rok....and in Maltese...Il-Milied it-Tajjeb.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. Christmas gifts and costumes malta

    ReplyDelete