Saturday 21 October 2017

Reflections

A young 43 year old mother died of cancer a week ago, and she left this letter to be read during her funeral. I share it because Doreen Cassar left a few priceless phrases which we should all take to heart:
I have to say my town has never seen so many people celebrating life. I wanted to live more, but I was attacked by an illness which everybody fears. But I am proud of the fact that even though I died at a young age, I accomplished a lot, and I had everything in my life. I had a crazy upbringing, became a midwife, marriage, three children, in whom I will be ever-present in their lives and above all, I had the Lord with me throughout my journey. In Him I found true peace. Nobody would believe that after spending 5 years taking care of a friend of mine, cancer would eventually knock on my door. But no one can understand the Lord’s plans.  So, do not waste your life thinking about what other people are doing. Live happy lives, live it to the full. Excessive stress never helped anyone. As parents do not focus only on your children’s academic education, but encourage your children to participate in sports and be interested in culture. Enjoy life together, because we only have one life to live, and make sure to appreciate each other. Do not look sad or depressed. As you leave today, smile one for me. Life goes on, so try to live every second with a smile on your face. I had some tough moments and frequently asked: Why me? You feel as if your heart stopped beating, and you can’t even feel your legs when you realize there is no cure for you. You feel like you are dreaming, an indescribable nightmare. I had two choices: to stay at home and wait for my final breath, or continue to fight and hope. Life is a constant battle. And God forbid you have a health issue and not fight back! Take care of your health, care for each other. Stay close to the Lord, and enjoy life for my sake. No sadness and tears – just remember Doreen. Thank you to my family, the priests, friends and neighbors, mothers whom I helped deliver their babies, colleagues at work, Basketball buddies, classmates from school, Facebook friends, and everyone who encouraged me till the end.
Goodbye - Doreen

No comments:

Post a Comment