Monday 19 June 2023

46th Anniversary

Ordination on June 19, 1977 with my family and other relatives

Today I join my classmates, the Class of 1977, as we celebrate 46 years of service in the priesthood. After a two-day retreat we’ve had this past week, tonight we concelebrate Mass as we’ve done every year for the past 45 years. Of course I was away for quite a few of them since I was in the USA, but presently I am also coordinating our meetings, which we do every month. Granted that not all my classmates attend, but we keep going. For our retreat we were 8 of us, and I hope today we will have full house, which is 10 right now as we lost two over the past 6 years. Three of us are still pastors right now, while the others keep busy with various meetings, just as I do, also celebrating 2 Masses a day and three on Sundays, plus communion calls, funerals, giving talks and coordinating the pastoral work here at the Retirement Home, while helping in the parish of Naxxar. I say to my classmates ‘Ad Multos Annos !’

Ordination Class of 1977 with Archbishop Mercieca

To end I share this beautiful poem by Henri Lacordaire, a French Dominican priest, which has always been an inspiration for me.

To live in the midst of the world, without desiring its pleasures.
To be a member of each family, yet belonging to none.
To share all sufferings, to heal all wounds.
To penetrate all secrets, without being curious.
To go from men to God and offer Him their prayers.
To return from God to men, to bring pardon, hope and peace.
To have a heart of gold for charity, and a heart of bronze for chastity
To teach, to listen, to forgive. To lead, to console, to bless always.
This is your life, o priest of Christ.         

No comments:

Post a Comment