Pope Francis once recalled a day when he was talking to a young man, and asked him what things make him feel sad. Without thinking, he answered me: ‘When my mobile phone battery runs out or I am without an internet connection.’ And the Pope asked him: ‘And why?’ He answered me: ‘Very simple, Father. I feel cut off from the world and I don’t know what is happening around me. I feel stuck where I am. When that happens to me, I am quick to run for the charger or to find a WiFi connection so that I can feel like I am living again.’ This answer, although short, gives us a lot to chew on; it was an answer that teaches us a worthwhile lesson. It taught me that the same thing can happen to our faith. When we feel enthusiastic, we feel our faith grows stronger within us. This can happen through some retreat, a sermon, a prayer meeting, the visit of the Pope, and our faith grows and grows stronger. But after some time from the beginning of this journey, there come moments when, without us noticing, that enthusiasm, that ability and fervor to connect with Jesus begins to slow down and fade away, until we end up losing every connection that binds us to Jesus and we lose all the power and strength we have. This results in a life of sadness, without faith, and we easily start to see everything through a dark tunnel, and nothing starts to make sense. When our spiritual battery fails, like that of a mobile phone, we also end up cut off from everything and from everyone. So, let’s stay connected and in touch with our faith, with our God and His Son Jesus.

No comments:
Post a Comment