Sunday 27 June 2021

Summer Reflections

The Sea – Lord, do not let the preoccupation about my ‘figure’ keep me away from wearing a bathing suit and jump into the sea. And when I return to the shore, remind me of the thousands who left their country as migrants and never reached shore.

The Heat – I promise Lord that I won’t complain because of the oppressive heat. When everything is baking under my feet, and when even the flags go into a deep sleep without any breeze, remind me of the cold temperatures in January and February. Thank you for the seasons which we can enjoy in their time.

The News – Lord, I wish that every day is like a weekend, with not much happening. I hope that the news I hear do not change my attitude or temper or peace of mind, but I don’t want to remain oblivious to the stories that happen, good or bad. But in this matter, please Lord, keep a sense of balance in what happens.

Nature – Lord, I want to imitate nature in the way it praises you through the seasons: smiling like the sun, green like the leaves, singing like the birds, cool like a delicious ice-cream, and keeping afloat with Your abundant Love for me.

Calmness – I don’t want to lose my patience with the traffic, as it seems that everyone is going to the same place I am heading for. Remind me that even in the summer, everyone is brother and sister to me.

Flip-Flops – Thank you Lord for some quaint summer noises, like the flapping of flip-flops, music coming out of a car window, cicadas harmonizing the evening, the ripple of waves on the seashore, the soft noise of an air-conditioner.

E-mails – But let me make a promise – that during this summer, I won’t be a slave to e-mails or my cell-phone, but let me enjoy peace and quiet, and not worry too much about the work waiting for me when summer is over. Maybe I can read a book or two, listen to some good music, watch a funny movie, eat a healthy salad – because every day is a gift from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment