Monday 7 June 2021

If I really cared . . . .(Spouses talk to each other)

If I really cared . . . I’d look you in the eyes when you talk to me; I’d think about what you’re saying rather than what I’m going to say next;  I’d hear your feelings as well as your words.

If I really cared . . . I’d listen without defending; I’d hear without deciding whether you‘re right or wrong; I’d ask you why, not just how and when and where.

If I really cared . . . I’d allow you inside my heart; I’d tell you my hopes, my dreams, my fears, my hurts; I’d tell you where I’ve blown it and when I’ve made it.

If I really cared . . .I’d laugh with you but not at you; I’d talk with you and not to you; and I know when it’s time to do neither.

If I really cared . . . I wouldn't climb over your walls; I’d hang around until you let me inside the gate; I wouldn’t unlock your secrets; I’d wait until you handed me the key.

If I really cared . . .I’d love you anyhow; but I’d ask for the best that you can give, and gently draw it from you.

If I really cared . . . I’d put my scripts away, and leave my solutions at home.  The performance would end. We’d be ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment