Wednesday 14 April 2021

2009 caricature


This caricature was done in Baker City, Oregon during our annual parish picnic, in September 2009. A local artist, Tom Novak spent a few hours drawing faces, and he insisted on my sitting down after a hectic afternoon talking to people, and within a few minutes, he was done with this painting. At that time I still had my passion for my flute, which still occupies most of my free time, along with water coloring. At that time I also had a cockatiel, named Charlie Parker, and here you see him perched happily on my shoulders. Unfortunately he died of a broken heart when I was visiting my family in Malta in 2010, but then I got two more cockatiels, whom I named Lewis and Clark, the two navigators and explorers who discovered Oregon and the west side of the USA beyond the Missouri River. While Lewis died after two years, Clark survived until the day I was transferred to my new parish in Bend. These birds somehow know when you are moving or going away. We will meet them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment