Saturday 24 April 2021

Karettuni

                          
After yesterday’s post on wheels I shared with you, today I am sharing with you a photo I took over 46 years ago. This was in our sister island Gozo during the summer of 1974 or 1975 as I came across this alley with a number of sulky carriages lined up against the wall, and behold this black-and white photo I took with my instamatic camera. These types of carriages are very popular in Malta and are used with a horse guiding them. You can see them occasionally even in busy streets, but they are used mostly for racing around a track. I remember also when in 1990 my Bishop of Long Island visited Malta, he was so impressed with these sulky carriages meandering among cars on the Malta roads, which were not as busy then, as they are now. We call them karettuni and are a part of the Maltese landscape as windmills, farmhouses and church domes and steeples are on the skyline, unfortunately overpowered by tower cranes over the last 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment