Tuesday 15 December 2020

Advent sunset

A spectacular sunset occurred yesterday over the skies of  Malta. It just happens that sunset at this time of the year takes place around 4:30 PM, when I am celebrating Mass in my chapel. But yesterday I saw a luminous, cloudy sky and ran up to the third floor around 4:15 PM to capture a spectacular sunset with my camera. Luckily, the distant hills of Rabat and Mdina were not cluttered with cranes and skyscrapers, and this is probably the only direction which is still unspoiled by the modern technological and structural annoyances which dominate the Maltese skyline, just about wherever you look. The Baroque churches of Rabat and Mdina, as well as the belfry of the Carmelite church add a little touch of the spiritual and the sacred to this scene. I share this ominous photo with you today as we continue our Advent journey towards Christmas.

1 comment: