Tuesday 23 April 2024

The Gondola

One of the most popular scenes in Venice is the gondola taking tourists around the canals. One gondolier had two oars and on one of them he wrote the Italian words Lavoro (work in English) and on the other one he wrote Preghiere (prayer in English.) When people board the gondola, they always ask him why he wrote those words on the oars. He would answer by saying ‘because when I use one oar, the gondola goes around and around, but when I use both of them I go straight ahead and tourists can enjoy the scenery and buildings. With the work of my hands and the help of God, I can go anywhere I want.’ Remember the motto of the monks ‘Ora et Labora’ (Pray and Work) as they combine both of them in their daily life. When they work, they do it prayerfully, and when they pray, it is hard work for them. Both are important for us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment