Friday 26 April 2024

Malta’s paradox

Msgr. Anton Teuma preaching on the feast day of St George.

The Bishop of our sister island Gozo, Anton Teuma made a few heartfelt remarks in a homily two days ago, and gave the Maltese and Gozitan people something to reflect on. He referred to various situations that are harming the Maltese islands, thus listing various paradoxes in the present society and these are his actual words: "How I wish we had fewer rich churches, crumbling churches, which are however, full of people. How I wish to see fewer beautiful houses, but stronger families and stronger bonds between parents and their children. How I wish to see fewer people owning property, but also less fighting among heirs, among siblings. How I wish to see less construction but easier access to housing. How I wish village feasts were not so grand, but that people were happier and at peace, rather than seeing young people distracted by beer and drugs. How I wish that people were less rich, but cared more for each other and helped the poor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment