Saturday 13 April 2024

Monitor tulip farm

Flash-back from my journals of 2013 - When I was in Oregon, during this second week of Easter, all the priests gather for their annual retreat at Mount Angel Seminary. And one of my highlights every year was a visit to the tulip farm in Monitor. On Tuesday, in the afternoon I left immediately after lunch to get a head-start on my trip to the Wooden Shoe tulip farm, both to avoid waiting in line to get in, and also to avoid the unusual heat-wave we are experiencing. As excited as I was the previous year to visit the tulip farm with just two rows of yellow and red tulips, this year it was a heavenly experience as one row of colorful tulips after another covered almost half a mile by a 300 yard stretch that was mesmerizingly spectacular to see from afar, to walk through, and to photograph. I took close to 170 pictures in the 2 hours I spent there, and plenty of other photographers were showing off their equipment, besides many young couples with their children taking their pictures for their annual Christmas card and for their keepsake. The windmill at the end of the field, plus Mount Hood in the background provided an excellent opportunity to create some fascinating photos, and yet, as is often the case, many people cannot compose a simple photo, with today being a great exception, because you really have to be a dummy not to get great photos, with such a colorful and rich surroundings.

My trip to the tulip farm left quite an imprint on my head. When I arrived for the 4 PM conference at the Retreat House, all the priests were looking at me and asking me “What happened to you?” seeing that my head was as red as some of the tulips I had just photographed. Not realizing right away, I had forgotten to wear a hat, and in those two glorious hours, the sun did quite a job on me as it burned my head and my arms. It’s amazing how in just two hours, the sun can have such an effect on our bodies. The temperature was around 70 degrees between 1 PM and 3 PM, the time I spent in the farm, but I was so ecstatic taking one photo after another, that the last thing on my mind was the sun roasting my bald head! No major damage done, but over the next few days, I felt like a snake shedding its skin! Monitor wasn’t exactly Holland, but very close to it, as you can see from these few photos I share today.

No comments:

Post a Comment