Monday 8 April 2024

Bearded Monk-Priest

Back in 1998, I did a sabbatical with the Trappist monks of St Joseph’s Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts. I lived with the 70 monks and brothers in a beautiful monastery built by the monks themselves in 1952-53, after a fire had devastated their former home on Rhode Island. Living in the community you have to do all the work they do, from sweeping the cloisters, cleaning the Jakes (bathrooms,) help in cooking, help in the huge Trappist Fruit Preserves factory they had, and even making a special blend of incense. Wearing sandals and a white robe like all the monks was of course right up my alley, and seeing so many of them with beards, I decided to grow a beard. However it only lasted 2 weeks, as the hair was getting in the way while eating, besides the itching, and indirectly giving the impression of laziness, something which certainly was never in my character. So after two weeks, it was gone, but at least I have a photo which I share with you today. Some of my friends in various parishes told me that I look like Steven Spielberg! The monks themselves told me that I look like a Trappist monk. Living with them, chanting the Office, meeting 7 times in the chapel (as early as 3:30 AM,) and celebrating the Eucharist was one of the best times of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment