Thursday 28 March 2024

Foot-washing on Holy Thursday

Today is a special feast of the Eucharist and the Priesthood, the two sacraments Jesus instituted during the Last Supper. On that day he actually instituted another sacrament, that of service, when He washed the apostles’ feet, telling them ‘what I have done to you, you should to others.’ I can personally say that I listened to Him because this is a special ceremony that I look forward to every year. However I missed it for 4 years in a row because of Covid, and this year I am re-starting the tradition. Many thought that Jesus was setting up this sacrament to serve each other, as so many do as nurses, carers, doctors, priests and family members towards children and their elderly parents. 

I even did a special foot-washing ceremony just for children in my US parishes, and even introduced the custom of couples washing each other’s feet at the wedding ceremony, to show equality, respect towards each other, and that no one is superior to the other. Let us also show respect to the Eucharist and an appreciation to the priests who serve us daily in our spiritual needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment