Friday 22 December 2023

3 Christmas memories

I want to take you back over the last 10 years in my last 2 parishes in Baker City and Bend in Oregon. The first photos shows the beautiful Fontanini Nativity I bought for the parish of St Francis of Assisi in Bend. My intention was to buy the Holy Family one year, and then add the other pieces over the next 4 to 5 years. But the response was overwhelming. I first bought the Blessed Mother in memory of my mother, and then I asked parishioners if they would like to sponsor any other characters. Believe it or not, within 24 hours, I had all the 26 pieces purchased, and paid for by various parishioners. We set it up in front of the altar, and has been set there ever since.

The second photo shows the Christmas Eve Mass at the Cathedral in Baker City, just after a Nativity play by the children, when Santa came up to adore baby Jesus, and then, accompanied on my flute, we taught the children how to sing a Maltese carol, ’Ninni la tibkix izjed.’ In 2008, which was the centennial of the building of the Cathedral, as a parish we sponsored a tree for the Festival of Trees held annually by the local St. Elizabeth Hospital. Of course we called it the Centennial Tree, and it was adorned with ornaments made form photos of the history of the Cathedral. After it was auctioned, the tree was given back to me, and I used to set it up in the Rectory every year, for everyone to admire. (click on each photo to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment