Wednesday 10 June 2020

Weston Priory

The peaceful atmosphere at Weston Priory
One of the earliest memories I have of the USA, outside of New York, was going on retreat to Weston Priory, in Vermont. There, a group of monks lived a community life that welcomed visitors, even priests to lead a week’s retreat as I did with my pastor friend Fr John Heinlein. The community of monks was founded in 1952. They are particularly known for the songs they have contributed to Catholic and even Protestant worship over the past 50 years, missionary work in South America, and the pottery produced at the monastery. 
The community of priests and brothers leading in worship.
The atmosphere was just sublime, peaceful and heavenly, to say the least. There I also got introduced to the music of Weston Priory composed mostly by Brother Gregory Norbet, whom I met personally and played for him a few flute melodies of his songs. 
With Brother Gregory  Norbet in 1982
Well known songs by him are now played in every Catholic church in the USA and beyond, like 'Hosea,' 'Our Father,' 'Bread that was sown,' 'Go up to the mountains,' 'Wherever you go,' etc. These are a few photos I took on one of my visits there, the surroundings, the chapel, the peaceful atmosphere, and more.
The prayerful chapel at Weston Priory
A reflecting lake by the Priory

1 comment:

  1. Can't tell u how much I enjoy reading these daily blogs from u Father. During these days of confinement and restlessness here in the US it is a blessing to read about peace and contentment.

    ReplyDelete