Wednesday 17 June 2020

Prayer for the Lonely

It’s awful to be lonely Lord. Sometimes when I’m in a crowded room surrounded by people who love me I still feel lonely. I’ll bet the world is full of lonely people. Sitting on park benches, lying on a rocky shore or a sandy beach, on bar stools, at cocktail parties or movie theatres, waiting for someone to say ‘hello’ to them. My next-door neighbor has never knocked on my door. Why is that, Lord? Maybe I should be the one trying to reach out to those who are lonely. They too may be waiting for a friend to talk to. Help your lonely, Lord to reach out of themselves. If only we weren’t so afraid of being hurt in the process. We’d really like to become more aware of, and responsive to one another. Grant us the strength to take the risk involved. The hurt can’t be worse than this awful lonely feeling. Help us, Lord, to overcome our loneliness by becoming one with each other, and one with You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment