Thursday 18 June 2020

Heaven or Hell ?

The choice is ours to make - heaven or hell! (click once to enlarge)
A few years ago, actually just after I arrived from the USA, I had a funeral of a British resident which I did in our chapel, with the burial at the Siġġiewi cemetery. It is a small cemetery, and it was the first time I was in it. While saying the prayers in a chapel that welcomes the coffins and their families before the burial, I noticed on the wall an interesting old print of Heaven and Hell. Since I had no camera with me, I asked one of the people at the funeral to take a photo and then send it to me. It is quite interesting as it presents those who look at it a simple choice, whether to go rejoicing to heaven or end up tormented in hell. The quote in Italian underneath says: “Jesus says: whoever wants to come after me, take up your cross and enter the eternal kingdom. Satan says: whoever wants to follow me, enjoy sinning and you’ll end up in hell.” You can see a long line of holy people climbing a hill, slowly following each other until they arrive at the gate guarded by St. Peter, labeled 'La Nuova Gerusalemme' (The New Jerusalem). On the other hand, further down, you can see another line of people heading down towards hell, entering a different gate, and all seem to be happy, but ready to be devoured by fire and what awaits them for eternity. In the middle section, right where the Crucified Jesus is seen, another group is hesitant whether to go down into hell or follow the holy procession towards heaven. Notice also on the far left, a kneeling angel is sorting people out, possibly asking them whether they would prefer heaven or hell. It is our choice ultimately where to end up. Those going towards heaven must have sacrificed a lot and are now being rewarded with eternal happiness, like poor Lazarus in the Gospel story. Those heading down must have had a jolly good life here on earth, like the rich man who ignored and mistreated Lazarus, but will end up paying the price with eternal damnation. It’s our choice to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment