Monday 27 April 2020

On the job

The Gospel of St Matthew (Ch 25:35-36) tells us ‘I was hungry...you gave me food. I was thirsty...you gave me a drink. I was a stranger....you welcomed me. I was naked....you clothed me. I was sick....you visited me. I was in prison....you came to see me.’ The workplace offers many opportunities to live out this precious Gospel passage. Think of these people.... 
The waitress who offers a cheery hello to each customer, brightening their day.
The police officer who assists a battered woman or child, leading them to a safe shelter and counseling services.
The nurse who not only tends to the physical needs of his or her patients, but also turns each professional stop into a ‘visit.
The social worker who helps mend the broken bonds of a divided family.
The writer concerned with such issues as social justice, truth, equality.
The fundraiser who solicits for worthwhile charities.
The janitor whose work adds a sense of dignity to an otherwise drab office or building.
The customer service representative who listens to dissatisfied customers and tries to rectify problems.
The priest who visits residents in a nursing home to bring them communion, a sense of calmness and joy as they continue to worry when life can return to normal and see their loved ones again.
The doctors, nurses, and paramedics who are doing their utmost to keep the number of victims of the coronavirus to a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment