Saturday 4 April 2020

Donkeys for Palm Sunday

Kelsea and Makenna Bomke leading the donkeys at Bend parish.
As we celebrate Palm Sunday tomorrow, I recollect the various parishes over the past 17 years when I was able to have a donkey lead our Palm Sunday procession towards the churches I served. It was a special treat I always included in the palms blessing which the people could relate to, especially our children. In John Day, my first Oregon parish, I had noticed a donkey tethered to a tree, and asked the owner if we could use him.
Danielle McCauley preparing to lead the donkey at Baker City Cathedral.
In Baker City, I noticed two small burros and both of them took part in our procession, until one of them passed away, and used only the surviving one for the remaining years I was there (for 8 years.) In Bend, I again found two burros and they were led by two sisters who took personal pride in leading them towards the church, followed by hundreds of parishioners.
Joe Bellinger and other servers help me at John Day parish, Oregon.
As I expected, when I left each parish, no donkeys were used for the successive Palm Sunday services. And unfortunately, this year there won't even be people to participate. But services will be held with just the celebrant and maybe an assistant while people can follow on TV or through web-cams that are becoming more popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment