Monday 9 March 2020

Elegy to a horse

Julian, a few months ago
When I was in New York, I made it a point to encourage parents to name their children Julian or Juliana. In fact, I had quite a success in having 4 to 5 babies named Julian and 2 named Juliana. But when I went to Oregon, my success was not immediate. In fact, I had no babies named for me, but I did have a few animals given that name, including a piglet in Halfway, a goat in Baker City, and a special horse in Mount Vernon. My beloved namesake Julian was born in May 2005, and I followed his growth over the years. Unfortunately, I was told a few months after his birth that he could not have any offspring because of a procedure that was done to him. I felt sorry for him, but I could also empathize and sympathize with him as we both could not have any children. Now I just got the saddest news that Julian passed away. He was raised at the Clark Quarterhorse Ranch in Mount Vernon, one of close to 100 quarter horses that were as beautiful to behold as fascinating to admire their elegance, especially when trotting and jumping around their luscious pasture. 
Julian, the newborn baby in the middle, when he was born in May 2005
So I give tribute today to a beloved gelding who is no more. According to Wikipedia, “a gelding is a castrated horse or other equine, such as a donkey or a mule. Castration, as well as the elimination of hormonally driven behavior associated with a stallion, allows a male horse to be calmer and better-behaved, making the animal quieter, gentler and potentially more suitable as an everyday working animal.” So now you know why Julian could never become a father, but as his owners Jim and Colleen Clark have testified to me often, he was one of their most beloved horses, well behaved and congenial with other horses, which of course make me very proud of him. His owners told me that he was getting thinner a year ago, recovered somewhat over last summer, but got weaker again and died last month, aged 15 years. God bless you dear Julian and may you rest in peace in equine heaven.

1 comment:

  1. We felt sad to lose our Julian horse. He indeed was well behaved and enjoyed his 15 years (45 years in human age)with freedom to roam the pastures and hills with other 4-legged companions. I like to think that he is still enjoying hills and pastures with other companions exclusively meant for God's creation of his beautiful horse in His domain of heaaven....

    ReplyDelete