Saturday 20 October 2018

‘I’ll never die!’

A Scottish bishop was hiking among the mountains, and staying up too late, it got dark and was lost. Luckily he found a small cottage, and asked for hospitality. The poor family welcomed him in, and they appeared very sad and somewhat worried. He did not see any sign that shows they were Catholic, and was not ready to introduce himself as yet, as he was dressed in his hiking outfit, and they obviously could not tell he was a bishop.
‘I can see you are very kind people, but I also notice that you seem very worried and concerned about something. If I can help you....’
The mother interrupted him ‘you are right.....we are worried about our father who lives here with us. He is near death but would not like to talk about death and his departure from us.’ The bishop asked if he could speak to him and he was led to his room, where it was obvious that was dying. He talked to him politely about his preparation to face the Lord, and be at peace before he dies.
His response came instantly ‘I’ll never die! Don’t talk to me about death.’ The bishop kindly spoke to him about old age, and that everyone in history has passed away, and so he will never be an exception. ‘No, I insist, It’s impossible for me to die!’ insisted the elderly dying man. The bishop again insisted and inquired of him why on earth he thinks he will never die. He asked the bishop if he was Catholic, and then he proceeded.
‘Let me tell you why I’ll never die. I too am a Catholic, and ever since my First Holy Communion, I prayed to the Blessed Mother that I will not die without having a priest close by. So do you think that my beloved Mother will not grant me this special grace. Impossible! No, I will never die!’
And the bishop answered him ‘my son, your Mother has granted your wish. This person who is talking to you is not only a priest, but a bishop. The Blessed Mother herself led me to your cottage, to save you on your last breath.’ At that moment the bishop opened his coat and showed him his pectoral cross, which he always carried with him. The old man rejoiced and said ‘Thank you Blessed Mother, now I believe that I will die.’ He asked the bishop to hear his confession, and died a few minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment