Friday 26 October 2018

God always wins

Years ago, when the curse of swearing and cursing was overtaking all of Italy, a strange event happened in a town in Tuscany. It was Sunday and in a large Cathedral, a Solemn Mass was being celebrated. Across the street from the church, there was a bar where irreverent young men used to gather, drinking, hurling obscene gestures to passers-by and cursing foul language all day long. As the bells tolled during the elevation of the Eucharist during the Mass, one particular young man started to swear and curse against the church and priests. The owner of the bar tried to control him and reprimanded him, but the man cursed even more and went as far as saying “God never scares me, and I don’t care about churches and the celebrations they hold in there. If God is powerful, let him prevent me from drinking this glass of beer right now.” As he said this he tried to grab the glass, but his face turned black, and fell to the ground as if hit by lightning, and died on the spot.” This was one case when we know that God took up the challenge of this young man, and showed that God always wins. Never take him for granted.

A note to this blog visitors: If anyone leaves a comment on this blog, there is no way for me to find out what your e-mail address is so that I can respond. I received yesterday a question about Maltese Christmas traditions from a Joseph Camilleri, and I would be happy to respond if you write me a personal e-mail on my address dungiljan@gmail.com  This blog does not show your e-mail when you leave a comment. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment