Sunday, 27 September 2026

The Pope at Lourdes

As Pope Leo XIV spends a full day at Lourdes today, I share with you just one special photo I took a few years ago when I led a pilgrimage to this holy place. I wanted to get a nice shot of the main basilica, framed by some flowers or foliage of any kind. And being there in the middle of August, I was lucky that these pink flowers were blooming beautifully. I am sure many thousands of people will jam the whole Lourdes complex today as they assist at Pope Leo’s Mass and listen to his homily. The crowds so far have been overwhelming, both at the Youth rally (80,000 young people reported) and the huge Mass at the Place de la Concorde at the Champ Elysees, estimated at 700,000 people in attendance. I hope and pray that their presence there will re-ignite their commitment to the church and those who have drifted away over the last few years, will have the courage and motivation to come back home. And more importantly, be an important part of the French Catholic tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment