Wednesday 24 May 2023

From altar boy to Deacon

It was an honor for me receiving news that one of my former altar boys has just been ordained a Permanent Deacon for the Diocese of Trenton, New Jersey. Robert Vidal was a little child when I was serving as Associate Pastor at Holy Spirit Parish, in New Hyde Park, NY. His family was very active in the parish, with all the 4 children attending the parish school, with Robert serving as an altar-boy. Unfortunately Robert’s father died at a young age, and later their mother Kathy moved with her family to Tennessee. I am glad that she follows my blog faithfully, and I’m sure she’ll be surprised to see this post. Deacon Robert Vidal was ordained as a Permanent Deacon on Saturday May 20 at the Cathedral of St. Mary the Assumption, in Trenton, NJ with 10 other deacons who will now serve in various parishes, besides 2 transitional deacons, who will be ordained priests within a year. Robert will serve in his parish at St Mary of the Pines, in Manahawkin, NJ. 

Rev Mr Robert Vidal with his family

It’s amazing how God works and how He uses you to inspire other people along the way of your ministry in several parishes, in Malta, New York and Oregon. 4 other former altar-boys were also ordained priests over the years. Notice in the first photo almost a replica of the imposition of hands by the Bishop reflected in the stained-glass window, just behind the Bishop' presidential chair. This makes the photo even more unique and special. Ad Multos Annos Deacon Robert Vidal, and congratulations to the Vidal family. (click on each photo to enlarge)

My 1982 altar boys from New Hyde Park, NY. Robert is in 2nd row, first from right.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is a great read Father. I wasn’t aware you were doing it until I saw the link from Rob Vidal’s ceremony. I loved the picture of all of us Altar boys. I look back fondly on those days. Not sure if you remember our bike trip to Orient Point and back. I’ll never forget it. I still talk about it today. It would be cool to see some pictures. You were always my favorite priest. Thanks for the memories.
    Keep up the good work.
    James Rafferty, Holy Spirit class of 1982

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so special to read , thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks James Rafferty - yes those were the days in the 1980s when I organized those bike trips to Montauk Point and back to New Hyde Park. That's before I learned how to drive, and after driving over a million miles in NY and Oregon, I am now back in Malta, but not driving any more as traffic is chaotic here. I will share a few photos from our bike trips later on this week. Stay tuned.😉

    ReplyDelete