Saturday 27 May 2023

Dieting for Heaven

Our Maltese Saint George Preca was used to tell short stories, similar to parables, so that people of all ages could understand them. One day he met a man who was pretty fat and after he went for confession, St George asked him if he fasted during Lent The man said ‘No Father George, I cannot fast, because if I don’t eat, I will feel very weak and pass out.’ Three months later, he met the man again, and this time he was fairly thin, compared to three months earlier. And the priest asked him how come he lost so much weight. ‘Well, Father, I went to see a doctor, and he found out that I was diabetic, and he demanded that I eat less and cut  down on pasta and bread.’ Then St George would conclude this story by saying: ‘You see, some people would do anything for their personal lives, but for heaven, they are afraid of doing the tiniest of sacrifice!’

No comments:

Post a Comment