Thursday 27 February 2020

Honesty

US President Harry Truman
Reports of dishonesty, especially by civil servants, are disheartening and may even tempt some people to lower their own standards. But politicians can have high standards too. Listen to what former US President Harry Truman once wrote in his personal journal: “I had certain rules which I followed....I refused to handle any political money in any way whatever......I refused presents, hotel accommodations and trips which were paid for by private parties.....I lived on the salary I was legally entitled to and considered that I was employed by the taxpayers.....I would much rather be an honorable public servant and known as such than to be the richest man in the world.” Wouldn’t it be great if some of our politicians would use the same method of self-examination and be morally accountable for their actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment