Saturday 4 January 2020

Remembering my father

My parents John and Mary in 1988
It was 18 years ago today in 2002 when the first member of my immediate family was taken away from us. It was quite a shock when my father John died suddenly when I was visiting my family just after Christmas. My mother survived for another 8 years as did my younger brother Paul who both died in 2010. But nothing can prepare you for the sudden death of a close family member, especially as I had to lead the funeral a few days later, attended by many of our relatives and friends. He and my mother had sacrificed their lives for us their 5 children, and as often happens, we tend to appreciate them more when they are gone. He was a great provider and it was only later in life that I realized how much they gave us, and how little they kept to themselves so that we could have everything we desired. Not that we were spoiled, but they made sure that we enjoyed a happy, united and content childhood. 
Our family on the day of my Diaconate ordination, June 1976
We never had a car, and they never traveled until I brought them to the USA on a few occasions. Most importantly they gave us a strong foundation of faith, which inspired me to become a priest, and my siblings to remain faithful to their church duties. And they re-lived their parenthood again when their two nephews were born. And I know how happy they are in heaven looking down on them as they pursue their careers as very successful doctors. Rest in peace, dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment