Monday 23 December 2019

Mary and Elizabeth

As we approach the celebration of Christmas, the focus now moves to the Holy Family as Mary and Joseph prepare for the birth of their baby. The Annunciation and the Visitation are highlighted in our Gospel readings these last few days prior to Christmas. A touching picture I found is the encounter of Mary and Elizabeth as their babies also rejoice at their first encounter. In most paintings of the Visitation, one sees Mary and Elizabeth in a very reverent and serious mood, but this picture shows a lighter, more human reaction, which is originally portrayed in the movie “The Nativity Story.” I am sure that most pregnant women, besides being anxious about the countdown to delivery, are filled with joy and exuberance because of the blessed event about to take place.
And when two pregnant women meet, no doubt they talk and smile and laugh about their babies kicking and moving around. They all have incredible stories to tell and share. Just like my mother who always told me that when I was born, it was either me or her surviving. Thankfully we both did. And it was only towards the end of my grandmother’s life that she told me why the anxiety and the me-or-her option – simply because I was born with feet first. That probably explains also why I love feet and love to wear sandals and flip-flops. Another artist reproduced the encounter of Mary and Elizabeth, and it is one of my favorites. I hope it becomes yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment