Wednesday 29 June 2016

St Peter and Paul

 
St Peter by Arnolfo di Cambio
A very special festivity today as we honor the two pillars of the church, Saint Peter and Saint Paul. I share with you two photos I took a few years ago during my visit to Rome. The bronze statue of St Peter was sculpted by Arnolfo di Cambio and St Peter’s foot is worn out with the millions of people touching it reverently over the centuries. The other statue is that of St Paul in the portico of the basilica of St Paul outside the walls. There is also a beautiful cloister adjacent to the same basilica. Peter and Paul met only briefly, but it was enough to solidify a relationship that will forever bind them together. They both died a martyr’s death, St Peter being crucified upside down, and St Paul being beheaded in Rome.
St Paul outside the walls
This feast is a public holiday in Malta, and only a few years ago it was dropped from a holy day of obligation. Actually I did not know about this and I had already scheduled holy days Masses at my chapel, and I am sure people will honor this day with their presence. It is customary that people party in the outdoors with a display of farm animals, fresh vegetables and fruit, and a competition similar to what is a County Fair in many towns in the United States. Lots of rabbit is eaten this night, and I am sure lots of wine will be drunk, as traditional folk music is a must into the late evening hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment