Tuesday 5 March 2024

Jesus on the Cross

One of the most recognizable images of the crucified Jesus is a painting by Spanish artist Salvador Dali. It is entitled 'Christ of Saint John of the Cross', whose figure dominates the Bay of Port Lligat. The painting was inspired by a drawing, preserved in the Convent of the Incarnation in Avila, Spain, and done by Saint John of the Cross himself in 1550, after he had seen this vision of Christ during an ecstasy.  

The original 1550 drawing by St John of the Cross.

The painting is from 1951, and Dali himself wrote,” In 1950, I had a 'cosmic dream' in which I saw this image in color and which in my dream represented the 'nucleus of the atom'. I considered in 'the very unity of the universe', the Christ! Then I worked out geometrically a triangle and a circle, which aesthetically summarized all my previous experiments, and I inscribed my Christ in this triangle." The painting is presently at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow, Scotland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment