Tuesday 26 September 2017

Galley leaving Malta

Massive galley leaving Malta's Grand Harbor. No shots were fired!
Yesterday I left home very early to capture the departure of a beautiful galley that was anchored for a few days in the main harbor of Valletta. Obviously my intention was to take a few photos of this galley, hopefully with its sails open. Even though I was disappointed as the sails never came down, I still got some good photos which I will share over two days as they capture the whole process of leaving a harbor with the sailors positioned to open the sails. They were hanging on the horizontal beams of the galley, ready to unfurl the sails, which they probably did as soon as they got into the wind outside the harbor. 
Sailors precariously positioned on the beams ready to unfurl the sails.
One of the photos show the sailors with two flags, one of which was the flag of Malta, half red and half white with the George Cross on the top corner on the white part. I was curious to find out to which country the other flag belonged to, and after a little research I did, but I’ll keep you guessing until tomorrow, to see if anyone is able to find out and reveal the mystery country.
Galley passing by one of the fortifications built by the Knights of Malta
Sailors waving to the people of Malta

No comments:

Post a Comment